Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Career change...

I'm a firm believer in the following phrases...

"Things happen for a reason."

Sometimes "things" suck...and sometimes the "reason" is bullshit, but, i still believe in it.

"It wasn't the right time."

Sometimes the "right" time seems like the wrong time, to me...because I'm not a patient person...and this phrase is almost always referring to a lesson in patience.

"It just wasn't meant to be."

I don't believe in destiny...but, I think this phrase is referring to the universe's way of keeping my ass outta trouble!!

I called the school to get an appointment to talk to the director about the selections process, and my application. I wanted to know what my odds are of getting into the program this next time around.

The conversation went like this...

*By the way, this lady's voice sounds EXACTLY like the secretary lady, Roz, on Monster's Inc. You know, the one who says, "Dooon't fu-get the paperwork." So, let's call her, Roz...just for fun!

Roz: Collin College.

Me: Yes, I'd like to make an appointment with Dr. A to discuss my application.

Roz: She's booked. She doesn't have any more appointments.

Me: Uh...she doesn't have any appointments...uh...like, EVER??

Roz: No.

Me: Oh...Okay? Thanks...

*Damn...there really is a nursing shortage. This one lady is booked for the next millenia, or at the very least, the foreseeable future!*

This coupled with the fact that when the little one sliced the tip of his toe off the other day, I almost passed out.

Jack was on the counter, crying, bleeding, and screaming.

I was on the couch, sweating, moaning, and damn-near fainting.

Jake was left to play nurse!

I think the universe is trying to tell me something.

Something like...

Sometimes, there isn't a right time, and things like toes being sliced off, happen for a reason, to show you that meetings with directors of nursing, and possibly a career in such, is just not meant to be!!

8 comments:

Jes said...

So, are you giving up on nursing completely?

Stacey said...

That may not be the school for you if they don't have time to talk to you! hehe that rhymes.. Anyway, look up a blog called Confessions of a student nurse. If you can't find it, I will try to find it and send you the link. This girl is funny, and she talks about the student nurses passing out while taking blood and stuff. So..don't think you can't do it because of that. Let me know if you can't find it. Don't give up if thats what you really want to do.

Kristine said...

Awww, don't give up!! I mean you can do whatever your heart desires....but before you really change your mind, think how far you have gotten. That's what I tell myself. I swtiched my major from education to nursing right when my first daughter was born. I did all the pre-req. (anatomy 1 and 2) when I was hugely pregnant with my second daughter. I gave birth at the end of the semester and went back a week later to finish my finals. That birth was a c-section by the way (yep, I'm insane). Did a six week micro course this summer. I applied in Dec. of 2008 and was told that I'm placed in the class of 2010! I want to scream!!! I have been in school since 2002 (different major at first) but I would like to be done with this sh*t!! There are times when I really don't know if I can handle being a nurse or if I'm smart enough. But then I look at all that I went through mentioned above and how far I have come. I didn't even think I was smart enough to do the pre-reqs. and I did. And that's what keeps me going! Just think about it is my whole point of this novel (sorry about that!). Good luck in whatever you decide to do!!!

Maggy said...

Wow! I tend to think in the same direction...interesting!

Kimmy said...

Well, at least you found out now before you got yourself in too deep!

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

Don't give up Nikki. Not to sound like a weirdo or anything, but a lot of successful people find that success is reached after it appears that all hope is gone.
Is there another program you can try to get into? Like NCTC or something?

Rassles said...

Don't give up, just in case. That being said, I definitely know people that had to change their life plans from medical fields to something else because they were surprisingly squeamish.

heidi said...

What? Whose toe was sliced off?? WTH? I'm off to read around some more. See what happens when I get WEEKS behind?