Friday, September 4, 2009

The big O...

Ha! Got ya again, ya perverts! I'm talking about Obama, not the other, more pleasant, more satisfying and enjoyable "Big O."

I've seen a few debates going on, on Obama's upcoming speech to school children. Some parents are up on their hind legs, not wanting the POTUS speaking directly to their children. Some are launching a "National Keep Your Kid Outta School Day!"

Which, is HILARIOUS, to me, because, there is NOTHING that the big O could say to my kids, that would make me keep them home from school. I will lay my life on the line to protect my 7.5 glorious, golden hours of silence.

He can tell them that Santa isn't real...he can tell them where babies come from...and that, in fact, that's likely what Mom and Dad are doing when the bedroom door is locked, for all I care.

THEY'RE GOING TO SCHOOL, DAMMIT!

I have never been interested in politics. I wish I was, but, it bores me to bits. Each, and every election, I say, "This is the one I will follow, this is the one I will become involved in, this is the one where I will sit through an ENTIRE speech...whether it be before, during, or after the election."

Sadly, each election, I fail. I think Obama's acceptance of the nomination, has been the only one I've made it through. And...that was only because it was significantly historic...aaaaaand because I had teensy weensy shred of a morbid curiosity as to whether some back woods, rebel flag waving, racist would try to off him.

It really is something I'm ashamed of.

And...by that I mean, I'm ashamed that I'm not more interested...not, that I'm ashamed I sat through Obama's speech!!!

My point, and I think I have one...

I am 32 and, more often than not, those speeches go in one ear and out the other. Simply because I cannot force myself to be interested in politics. Despite my efforts.

If I, the grown ass woman that I am, feel this way, I'm not too concerned about my 10, 8, and 6 year olds becoming engrossed in the big guys' speech.

Sorry, Mr. President, but, they don't listen to a damned thing!! I'm sure your speech will be riveting, but, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, that all they're gonna hear is, Wah-Wa-Waah..Wa-Waaaah...Wah-Wah-Wah.... But, hey, good luck with that!

And if it does interest them, and they hang on every word...then, I will be proud. I wish I had started learning about politics when I was younger. I would be more involved in it today, if I had. We live in a country run by politics, and agendas...it's just the way it is.

I think it's an opportunity for those so opposed to Obama to teach their kids, that even people who don't think the way they do, or have the same beliefs, and ideals...still deserve their respect. Whether that person happens to be the POTUS, or not!

IMO, this country is not in dire need of health care reform, or educational reform, or stiffer stances on gay marriage and abortion...Ms. Franklin hit the nail on the head, what this country needs most, is a little R.E.S.P.E.C.T!!

Oh...did you think I meant Ben's wife?

So, what is your take on the matter?

blog comments powered by Disqus