Friday, March 26, 2010

What do I know…

Part of the reason that The One Who Knows Everything and I butt heads so often, is because I’m a know-it-all, too.  So, it’s this battle of the brains/wills/egos…any time he and I have a conversation. 

It’s awful!

Especially, because that boy of mine can know-it-all me right under the table, with ridiculous accuracy!  He’s good! 

IMG_7157

He got a new book from the library yesterday.  It’s about the body.  Gross stuff…about poop, blood, scabs, and vomit…but, educational, nonetheless!  After our conversation this morning…I know he only got that book, to try to one up me, since I’ve been taking classes for nursing school. 

He said, “Hey, Mom!  Did you know that when we breathe.  It’s like this cycle. A kinda long cycle, actually.  Where our lungs breathe in oxygen.  And get rid of…like…carbon dioxide, I think.  Yeah, carbon dioxide.  And our blood cells carry the good stuff around our body.  And they carry the bad stuff out…”

Pressed for time, and patience, I interrupted him, “I know, Buddy.  It’s pretty cool isn’t it?  The body is amazing.  That’s the kind of stuff I’ve been learning in my classes.  Hurry up.  Eat.  You guys gotta get going.”

He went in for the kill, “Yeah.  But, Mom.  It took you, like, a YEAR to learn that stuff.  I learned it in one paragraph.”

Suppressing my own know-it-all-ness, I agreed, “Yeah, Buddy.  It seems like that, doesn’t it.”  When, really, I wanted to say, “Don’t make me get out my transcript, bitch!” 

7 comments:

Scott S. said...

Nice way to bite the tongue. That is pretty cool how he learned it faster than you though.

Anonymous said...

Haha! Guess he told you!

You know, our kids have a way of making us pay for our own faults! My mom always told me that she hoped I would have a daughter just like me someday. My kids are very near surpassing me with their sarcasm skills.

Kameron said...

Who cares what motivates him to learn, as long as he likes doing it! Sheeze, I'd turn all learning into a competition and then he'll be a genius!

heidi said...

I have a know-it-all, too. Plus I married a know-it-all. It's really exhausting proving them wrong all the time.

;-)

Rassles said...

Dude, your kids are trouble, aren't they? That's awesome.

Nikki B. said...

scott - nice!! it is pretty effing cool, isn't it? smartass!!

robin - ugh..don't remind me!

kam - more than learning, he likes to be the smartest one in the room. so, we might be able to use that to create a super genius!

heidi - i can imagine. jake is nice. he lets me know-it-all all over the place...but, avery and i...whew...we're exhausting!

rassles - oh yeah...they're trouble. it's gonna be a long ride!

Tre said...

I love reading your stuff. You are so funny!