Thursday, December 11, 2008

CONFIDENCE...it's what's for dinner!

For me, one of the biggest struggles in being a parent...besides carrying the little beasts inside my body for 9 months, besides being at their beckon call for months feeding their insatiable appetites, besides being puked on, pooped on and peed on more times than I can count and besides trying to figure out the best way to discipline temper tantrum throwing toddlers, feisty five year olds, and know it all nine year olds...ASIDE from all that, one of the biggest struggles for me has been my confidence in my own parenting skills. Dealing with the pressures and pains of constantly wondering:

Am I doing the right thing?
Is he/she going to hate me for this when they're older?
Am I causing psychological damage to my child?
Is someone going to call CPS on me?


I can't tell you how often I have laid in bed at night recounting the events of the day and second-guessing some of the decisions I'd made regarding the children. It has been really stressful at times. I've worried about it way too much.

Until now! I don't know what has changed...whether something in me has changed, or maybe something in them has changed...but, my confidence level regarding my parenting is at a comfortable level these days. Maybe it's because they're a little older and I see that The One Who Knows Everything seems just fine despite 9 years of living under my care. If I do say so myself...they're pretty good kids.

I'm sure that in about 7 years...I'll look back at this post and think, "Oh you silly, silly woman! You think you've survived trials and tribulations with 3 youngsters? Is that what you think...you dumbass? Did you forget that those sweet little angels would one day be teenagers? You haven't seen JACK SHIT about tough decisions as a parent until you've taught your kids about puberty, periods, boys, girls, mastrubation, college, sex, drugs, rock and roll, etc.... You silly, silly, DELUSIONAL woman!!!"

This is probably just the calm before the storm. But, hey...I might as well enjoy it, right? Because I'm sure I'm about to be in for one HELLUVA ride!!!

1 comments:

Kameron said...

Oh my, and they will all be teenagers at the same time. I think that is my worst fear about having a girl....my karma!