Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Sentencing...

As much as I wanted to skip town and head to Fiji and drag a few of you along with me...it wouldn't be prudent. My problem with the boy would be waiting on me when I got home. Better to face this one head one...

We're gonna come down pretty hard on the kid. If this was a one time thing...it wouldn't be HUGE. But, this disrespect is something we've seen before and have see A LOT of lately. We're turning his world upside down.

The way The One and I see it...kids don't have "the right" to all the extras. Obviously, they deserve love, food, clothing, shelter, a safe home, and discipline. But, the extras...rooms full of toys, games, radios, posters, bikes, freedom to play as they please, etc...those are all things that they should earn. We've only had to strip the kids of all privileges a couple of times in the past, and it usually gets their attention.

So, The One Who May Never Again See the Light of Day lost all of his privileges. And I mean ALL his privileges. He can't wear what he wants to school...he can't sit in the front seat of the car...no TV...no video games...all the crap in his room (all his electronics, decorations...everything) is boxed up and put away...completely stripped of everything but the necessities.

I thought your ideas about embarrassing the kid were brilliant. I got to thinking about it and thought it would only be fair. He has been so rude and disrespectful that he has publicly embarrassed us. An eye for an eye, right.

I'm thinking about making him wear this sign on his back for at least a few days.

Photobucket

What do ya'll think?

10 comments:

Heidi said...

LOVE IT! Shirt is awesome.

Kimmy said...

LOVE IT!!!!! What a great idea! I think that would get his attention.....QUICK! Good luck :o)

kristi said...

LOL...are you my long lost twin?? Sounds like something I would do!

Jess said...

I think this was a totally appropriate response. Rather than a sign though, I do like the idea of a t-shirt.

I've said it before but I'll say it again...Nikki, you're hilarious!!

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

You go, girl!! I'm sorry you missed out on Figi...

Tatman said...

I had this happen to me when my parents found out that I forged a failing slip in 4th grade. Losing it all sucks! It really got my attention. Plus, they made me copy pages word for word from my textbooks. A little extra homework to make sure I was getting the point. Can you find any nice long speeches on respect? Maybe he needs to write it word for word a few times.

Kameron said...

Aww man, I didn't see the picture it says the image has been removed, but knowing you I'm sure it was good!

Way to be firm, make him earn it all back. If that would work with my toddler I'd do it in a snap!

~~Mel~~ said...

I've been known to use this tactic once or twice and have to say it totally works!!!!

wife.mom.nurse said...

Oh, came too late to see what the shirt said, but I will bet it was good!

Elisabeth said...

Can't see what the shirt says! Dang it!

I have actually done the clearing of Double A's room about six weeks ago because he was failing in school. His main problem was not turning in his homework. I let him sit in his room like that for one night and told him that his summer would be just like that if he kept neglecting to turn in his homework. Double A started being responsible and turned in his homework since and is doing much better now!