Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Holy Guano, Batman!

The One Who Doesn't Say Much was in a play last weekend. Yeah, you heard me right...she co-wrote, co-directed and co-starred in her very own play.

Photobucket

My little girl...the one who family members warned would never make it in public school if she didn't start talking. My little girl...the one who family members worried might have serious social problems, like autism because of her shyness. My little girl...the one who still, to this day, gets shy and embarrassed when put on the spot..even in front of her immediate family. THAT ONE...she was in a play! Not just any play...but a regional Destination Imagination competition!!

She signed up for it and when I found out that they would be acting...I tried to talk her out of it. I warned her that she would be expected to perform in front of strangers and speak loudly enough for humans to hear her. I did my best to discourage her...but, she would have nothing of it. She insisted on participating. Although, I thought it was more likely that she would freeze and panic...maybe there would be a small chance that she would actually do it...and a shred of a chance that she would actually like it! So...I waited for months with baited breath...to see what my little girl was made of.

I know that children's plays that do not involve your own children are painful to watch...so feel free to skip the following video.


For those of you in my family, who thought that there might be something wrong with The One Who Doesn't Say Much because she wouldn't talk to you. Those of you, who sat me down to express your concern that my daughter wasn't as friendly or socially outgoing as your little girl. Well...MAYBE SHE JUST DOESNT' LIKE YOU!!! Did you ever think of that?? Because, my little girl...my smart, funny, witty, and beautiful little 1st grader is FINE...she's the tallest bat in this video, and the one who so brilliantly exclaims, "Yeah, Yeah..we'll scare that big bear away," in case you don't recognize her!!!

Get some, bitches!!!

14 comments:

KittsKrafts said...

Congratulations! It looks like they all did great. Who knows what genius your shy little gal has held on reserve. You don't have a thing to worry about! :-)

Heidi said...

Awesome. Mine went to her teacher and told her she would not be in their play, no way no how. She's just as shy, but evidentally pushy too. So glad your girl found her confidence.

heidi said...

How wonderful that she did all that! Wooohooo!

Alicia W. said...

You go girl! She nailed that play. Love the last paragraph to the people who thought something was wrong with her. "Get some bitches" LMAO!!

Jackson said...

Nikki, that is great! AND that means that there is still hope for JACOB! He is shy too and I wonder sometimes how he will make it when he starts school...but I was worried about Jack too (for different reasons) and he was great. Kids always seem to surprise us, ya know!?!? That is really cool for Lily, I bet she was so proud of herself!

Rassles said...

Look at you, raising savants. Kick ass.

pssst: verification word? reacting.

Anonymous said...

She's not even mine, and I'm wicked proud.

Our 2-almost-3-year old is having serious speech difficulties. And I'm starting to get the same "concerned" (read:bitchy) comments from family. This made me hopeful.

The Mommy said...

That's wonderful! She spoke loud and clearly too! Sounds like she'll be just fine.

Kameron said...

kids come arounf in their own time. Just because someone is shy doens't mean they have issues. If everyone had the same personality type this world would suck and no one would get along. Oh, hey, did you get the shirt??

~~Mel~~ said...

Hi! I found your blog yesterday and find it quite a good read.

Coming from someone who was made fun in elementary school for NEVER saying a word...well let's just say that I never shut up now...and those friends and family she doesn't talk to...it is most definately because she doesn't like them!

Jess said...

Good for her! This is great.

Tanya said...

Good for her, you crack me up!

Elisabeth said...

The video isn't showing up for me at the moment! I'll try again later. But it's great that she did it!

Jessica said...

Very Cute. it makes me feel like I cant wait until Jack is doing that stuff! But Im still not quite ready for him to grow up! Tell her 'Way to go!!'