Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sad Really TV...

I'll admit, I watched the train wreck that aired on TLC last night. I'm not proud of myself and am already regretting my decision a little bit, but whatever.

In my defense, the girl LOVES the show. So, she and I spent a little time together, sans people with penises, to watch...the train wreck!!

Just to let you know, I could care less about those two humans and their litter, my beef here is with "Reality TV", in general...

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "REALITY TV"!!!!

Maybe you guys were privy to this before now...but, it just dawned on me last night. There is NO SUCH THING. PERIOD.

Once you let cameras into your home to film your "everyday life," it becomes not so "everyday" anymore. Your asked to repeat what you just said so they can capture it on film, so now, there is a script...maybe you change how you look since you'll be seen by millions...maybe the network showers you with trips and shitloads of money...all of which, completely changes "everyday life."

Exit the reality part of "Reality TV."

Not to mention, money changes you. Indubitibly! The new flow of income wraps around you, wringing out any last shred of "reality" that might've remained.

Maybe the cash gives you a little extra confidence to say what you've been feeling all along, or stand up for yourself...be a little more brazen. Maybe it shows you something you never knew you always wanted. Something that was out of your reach before...but, now is easily taken. Nonetheless, it changes you.

It's sad, really.

Maybe that's what they should call it, "Sad Really TV."

Me? I'm happy with my middle class mediocrity.

Where I can wear the same pajama pants all day long, for three days in a row, with no one to impress. Where I can yell at my kids and make ridiculous parenting mistakes without ridicule. Where I'm the one to wipe away my children's tears, bandage their bloody knees, sit up with them when they are sick, and laugh with them as often as possible. Where my husband and I travel together, sleep together, parent together, dream together, love each other immensely and laugh together as often as possible.

13 comments:

Alicia W. said...

Your so talking about John & Kate! I hate how their show tore them apart. It only added stress and all these problems into their home. Not to mention she has a major case of OCD and that doesn't help. I agree.. sad sad sad.

Unknown said...

I agree!! I don't understand why they (she) can't make some sacrifices to try to make things better? Yep Reality T.V. is a crock! I don't watch much of it but I will admit that I am hooked on Jon and Kate. Those kids are too cute!

Tina said...

I agree and I so dislike this show...

TURN the cameras off and try and fix your marriage and save your family. That is the answer....

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

My heart goes out to that family, who naively brought every bit of this upon themselves and have ruined their lives in the process.
Jon and Kate looked awful last night. I just can't believe they are continuing to air this out in front of cameras. Funny how they want to get rid of the paparazzi in their lives, yet continue to feed their passion for dirt by inviting more cameras into their home. What people will do for a buck...sad.

Kameron said...

It is sad what money can do to people. I totally believe that you can't be real in front of a camera. I notice that I talk differently just while doing my vlog, so you are always concious of the fact that film is rolling!

Rassles said...

I watch Lost. Now that shit is real.

Heidi said...

I train wrecked too. And the sad thing is Stephen banished me to the other room to watch it only to come to me during a commercial break to confess he was watching it too. It sucks you in!

Carebear said...

I watched too. I couldn't help myself. It really was sad too. I wish I could help them somehow put this behind them and find the love again for the sake of the kids. Such a terrible turn their story has taken....

Kimmy said...

Well put!! I would have to agree with you :o) I personally would never allow my life to be catured on tv. For no money! Perhaps they get what they deserve....or wanted!

heidi said...

I'll forgive you for watching ONLY because it meant special time with the girl. Otherwise we'd have to break up.

Just PLEASE tell me you didn't watch Oprah, too. Please?!?!

melinda said...

preach it girl!

Helene said...

I laughed when I read this post b/c I just got done writing my post for tomorrow on the very same subject!! I think a lot of people are talking about it.

I agree 100% with everything you said!!! I really was hoping to hear they were going to give up the show and focus on putting their marriage back together and getting back to somewhat of a normal life. I can totally foresee the future....their kids will watch all this when they're older and realize how selfish their parents were, at the cost of their marriage and traumatizing their children.

Tim said...

I totally agree. Most reality Tv these days is hard ot watch, and the worst part about it is that its the only thing on! Baaah

Bubbs