Monday, May 25, 2009

Monday, Monday...

It's a holiday, but my kids are in school today to make up a snow day. The little one is not crying anymore, because he now understands what a make-up day is.

Aaaaaand they strategically scheduled Field Day for today so that slacker parents like me, wouldn't keep their kids out of school anyway and have an extra night to party spend quality time together.

So, I'm playing along here...


This is the topic...

How did you and your significant other meet? and if you don't have a significant other at the moment then what would be your dream way to meet him?

Aaaaaaand this will take you to my post about the greatest story of my life! But, if you don't feel like travelling, here it is:

The Story of Us

This is the tale of how I met and fell in love with The One...

My husband is always bitchingI've noticed that during my blog-therapy sessions...I spend a lot of time throwing The One "under the bus."

Let me get this out of the way first before I begin one of the greatest stories of my life. Honey...Shmoopy...sweet, sweet Love of my Life...let this be both a rude awakening and a public apology. Rude awakening: DUDE...YOU'RE NOT PERFECT!! Public apology: I'm sorry I'm always "throwing you under the bus"...but, look on the bright side...at least I'm bitching on my blog and not in your ear!!

Let me take you back to 1991. I was 15 and have to tell this detail of our story from The One's point of view. He was in the 7-11 getting something to drink and I come in. He says that when he saw me, everyone disappeared...he says everything was in slow motion...he thought I was beautiful and...I don't want to say it was love at first sight, that's so cliche and isn't his style. Let's just say that he was "sprung!" In his words, "this moment in 7-11 is the clearest memory he has from his entire life." To this day, he still remembers what I was wearing and what I was buying at the store. He had to meet me.

He starts asking around to find out who this amazingly, incredibly, breath-takingly...alright, I'll stop...beautiful girl was. He finds out that I am a friend of one of his good friends' girlfriend. She starts talking to me telling me that this guy really wants to go out with me...yada, yada, yada. I see a picture of him and agree. So, we set up a double date.

We go on our date...to ride go carts and play big ball golf...and we clicked immediately. We talked ALL the time, but didn't go on a whole lot of dates because neither one of us could drive. We were together for most of the school year and the summer. I kinda fell in love with him...I don't think I really knew what it was then...I knew I liked him A LOT...but, I didn't know it was love. I was 15...I didn't know JACK SHIT!! Mom...if you're reading this...please look away...scroll down a little bit and just PLEASE...FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS SANE AND GOOD...skip this next sentence!!! That summer, he was my "first."

Silly high school stuff got in the way and after that summer we broke up. Okay, honey...I'll throw myself under the bus...I cheated on him!! I'm sorry, love...how was I supposed to know that I didn't have to look anymore...how was I supposed to know that I had already met The One!!! I WAS FIFTEEN...just 5 years older than a 10 year old...just a rookie teenager!! We didn't have much to do with each other for the rest of our high school days. I tried to apologize because I couldn't quit thinking about him...for years I missed him. I went off to college and would still surprise myself missing him. I would have dreams about him and think about him randomly.

Now to April, 1996...the end of my first year in college. I came home for a weekend to hang out with old friends. We went to a concert in Dallas and bumped into some of the guys we went to high school with. This is the memory that is clearest in my mind from my entire life. Deep Blue Something was playing "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and in my mind...the record scratched, everything was silent and the world moved in slow motion. I saw The One at the back of his group of friends. We were in the middle of this huge crowd and everyone disappeared...I only saw him! Our eyes met and he looked at me in a way that I'll never forget. He raised his eyebrows, his eyes lit up, and smiled the sexiest smile...a smile that I had seen plenty of times, but had taken for granted! In that moment...barely 19 years old...I knew I would never take that smile for granted EVER, EVER again!! We began talking that night, and the next, and the next, and the next....

From there, we built the foundation of one of the most incredible relationships I've ever seen or even heard of. It was built out of admiration, honesty, communication, understanding, compassion, commitment, compromise, laughter, friendship, fidelity, respect, pillow-talk, and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE...more love than anyone can imagine! It is truly AMAZING what he and I have. This is not just my distorted view of reality, either. Ask anyone who knows us and they will all agree!

The One is my soul mate...we were built for each other...he is the LOVE OF MY LIFE!

He's my lobster!

Have a great holiday!

10 comments:

Amy said...

I bet he thought you were so sexy that day on your date. I love your dachshund. I use to have one.

Kasey said...

What a great story! Isn't it funny how you were together in high school but the timing just wasn't right? It took a few years for you to figure it out and to be in the right place to really know? that's how we were! and I think it makes for a much more interesting story if I do say so myself!

Tina said...

Great story....my husband and I went to the same high school also but didn't really meet until he had already finished!

Happy FMM!

Alicia W. said...

Love the history of how you guys met and fell in love! Sooooo sweet.

Unknown said...

What a great love story...I'm glad you shared!

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful love story...your lobster, how precious!

So glad I stopped by from Kasey's today!

Happy Memorial Day!

Kelli said...

He's your lobster! I love it. Great story.

Rassles said...

Well, isn't that just so cute it makes me want to throw up just a little. But in the best way possible.

heidi said...

AAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!! That was sweet!

Brooke said...

Ahh....I had never read that story before. Very special. I met my hubby in the summer of 1991 too, and I was in high school as well (but I was 16, you were a wee bit younger). We broke up once for about 3 months, and that was it. We are still stuck with one another, and will celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary this fall.