Friday, February 11, 2011

Friday Flashback…

Remember the days before digital music?  When there was a song you loved…you listened to the radio for HOURS…literal…HOURS with your index finger on the record button, and your middle finger on the play button…and you waited until it came on the air.  God help you if you had to pee.  Or had to go answer the phone that was attached to the wall! 

No youtube or itunes to get your music fix…uh-uh.  You had to work to hear the songs you loved. 

And if you wanted the lyrics to those songs?  There was no quick Google search.  You would play a bit, write what you thought, rewind to clarify or verify, then move on.  I’m glad rappers used to rap slowly, unlike they do today…I’d have never been able to figure the lyrics of today’s rap, with old school methods.  No way…

Maybe you don’t remember this shit…if not, your mom’s calling.  Isn’t it past your curfew? 

I’m kidding…I’m almost to the bitter point about my age.  Being in class with 21 year olds who, when asked if they’d seen Men In Black (because we have a teacher who talks like one of the characters), answered with, “Like…OH.EM.GEE.  I was, like, seven when that came out.  Bwahahahahaha…” 

Bitch… 

Anyway…I didn’t mean to go there…

Here’s one, specifically, that I remember spending hours writing down the lyrics…

Have a Friday!

8 comments:

Scott S. said...

Wow I was in Middle School when this song came out and I still know the words.

Knockin' While imma hip hoppin, many people say my lyrics are shcoking jus because of the simple subject......
....Candyman tell em da truff..we'll still end up knockin the boots

Bridget said...

HAHAHA!! You just described my teenage life. Listening for and recording my favorite songs on a cassette tape...when I finally got the song, it felt like I won the lottery...good times...

Stacey said...

I so remember doing that! And walking to school up hill...both ways! not really..I'm not that old.

Muliebrity said...

Also in middle school when that song came out. I had no clue what that song meant, but what a catchy hook!

heidi said...

Oh boy I love you so, never ever ever gonna let you go...once I get my hands on you....

Mixed tapes were a real bitch, weren't they? I remember recording from my Albums to tape. But tryign to get the songs off the radio and then perfectly on the mixed tape with no dj talking or other songs mixed in? Ugh.

Kameron said...

OhMmmmGeee! I totally remember doing that!! I would be so pissed if the DJ talked over the beginning of the song!!! Screw the younger generation os biatches. Man those 21 year olds are sassy aren't they?

Unknown said...

Haha! I encounter 20-somethings all the time who give me that blank stare when I quote movies or break into songs that were made during our high school years. After seeing some rappers over Super Bowl weekend, I've been playing some old Bone Thugs & Harmony & listening to Snoop & Dre :-) Oh, the good ol' day!

Candi said...

The way you put things brings the reader RIGHT THERE!!! I mean I can remember sitting by the radio doing that EXACT thing. Of course that's after you called and had to request that they even play the song!!