Thursday, September 16, 2010

An unfinished post...

I found this post in my drafts, and completely forgot to post it.  In fact, as I looked back through my blog posts, I didn't post much about our week in Destin.  We had fun.  So much so, that we're planning to go back next year.  That's the gist of it, really.

Well, that, and this old, unfinished post...

Every evening in Destin, as our family splashed in the pool for the sixth consecutive hour, sunburned, salty, tipsy (at least Jake and I were) and tired from a whole day of soaking up the sun, families would parade by. Dressed in their best. Hair fixed just right. The kids and the husbands of this endless stream of families, wore obvious scowls.  They were likely less than thrilled about having to get gussied up for pictures on the beach.  The moms walked by,with a purpose, leading her family to their misery.  They wielded their cameras, their minds focused on getting that perfect shot of their families on the beach.

I've been that mom. I've been hired by that mom. I know how those pictures turn out.  It ain't pretty!

A short amount of time would pass, and upon their return from the shoot of doom, I could see the frustration in the faces of the mom's as they made their way off the beach with their fighting children and angry husbands.

I won't lie. I thought I need that perfect shot, too.  Every day I'd warn the kids, "Tomorrow.  Tomorrow, we're going to get out of our bathing suits and get a good family pic on the beach.  You guys owe me this.  I made you people, this is the least you could do!"  I even brought my tripod!

Night after night of watching the" pissed off picture taking mom parade", I decided that "perfect shot" just wasn't worth the trouble!  Well, that, and that after so many RedBull's and vodkas by the beach/pool, a girl can get pretty unmotivated.  And drunk!

I decided that relaxed pics were the way to go with my crew.

Here's the "perfect" family shot I got of my family at Destin...


This is the "perfect" shot, of my kids on the beach...



And Ave even manned the camera, so that Jake and I could cheese it up...


They're PERFECT, if you ask me!!

8 comments:

Stacey said...

Love them! I like the relaxed, unexpected shots.

Kameron said...

I papparazzi the kids in the back yard all the time. I don't even care that the scene is the same because if I attempted to set up something perfect I'd just be disappointed anyway! Great shots and great perspective!

Melinda said...

they are perfect!

Stacey said...

Brilliant!

Tracy said...

You brought back memories. I remember being like that too. And then you finally realize you are stressing over stupid shit.

Kate@SurroundedByPensises said...

I agree! PERFECT! I much prefer spontaneous natural candids vs. the dressed up ones. Love them.

Tim said...

They are perfect! And if you ask me, (and you didnt lol) candids are the best anyway. They arent a portrayal of someone, they are someone.

That shot off of the mirror is priceless.

Bubbs

Heather said...

I love those pictures! And I'm so glad you didn't subject the kids to what the other "perfect" moms did.

When my first "perfect" family photo op with my three teenage stepsons rolled around, the end result was a picture that looked more like a series of mug shots.

Now I know better.

Last year's Xmas picture was a candid one of us in a park we were randomly visiting one day. One of the boys is sticking his tongue so far out that he looks possessed, and another one looks like he's humping the statue he's climbing on.

We're classy like that. But at least we're happy :)

Just found your blog and love it!