Sunday, November 8, 2009

Marly and she...

The girl is such a responsible child. She is responsible with her chores, her homework, her belongings, her money. She is patient and focused...and couldn't be any less like me, or any more like her father!!

Early in the year, Lily decided that she wanted a hamster. She began saving her money. For weeks, and months, she resisted the temptation of instant gratification. While her brothers were blowing their money on candy, or trips to the dollar store, Lily added to her hamster fund, one dollar at a time.

After a few months, she had saved enough money to buy the necessities on craigslist, and adopt a rescued hamster at the pet store. She was so proud, and in spite of my serious disdain for all things that scurry, I welcomed Marly into our home.

Photobucket

Lily proved to be a responsible pet owner, too. She kept up with the feeding and the cage cleaning, without the need for constant nagging from me.

Yesterday morning, I discovered that the furball was dead. I had to sit my baby girl down, and carefully break the news, that would undoubtedly break her heart.

Photobucket

It sucked...

The girl cried and cried, and when she ran out of tears, she made a decision. She is saving her money, and one dollar at a time, she will add to her Marly II fund.

13 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh no! Poor Lily! Poor Marly! Im really impressed that she resisted and managed to save to get Marly. Im sure she will earn Marly II in no time.

Bridget said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! Kyle had hamsters, too. The first one was named Rolly then we ended up with Rolly II and Rolly III...YAY to Lily for saving her money and being such an awesome pet parent!

Allie said...

Aaaawww, poor thing! (but I must admit, I hate all things that scurry too)

Mama SeWELL said...

Oh wow! Sounds like Me & Hobbs...except I wasnt the responsible pet owner like Lily :-(
Is this the first pet loss? Thats the worst as a kid! Maybe with Christmas so close her MarlyII fund will add up quick!

~~Mel~~ said...

What I hate even more than all things that scurry...is that all things that scurry seem to die so quickly and then need to be replaced! ugh.

Kameron said...

I hate rodents, but am sad for Lily. I think mom and dad should get her a new Marly ASAP!! At least she still has all the stuff. How much can one of those nasty things cost?

Heidi said...

Put a fund on your sidebar lady. I think I need to add to the MarlyII fund. I totally just saw that that movie was on TV just now and changed the channel freakishly fast. That movie made me cry like a baby. Like, run in the bathroom sobbing so my husband didn't see me blubbering like an idiot.... Now I feel the need to help with the hamster fund.

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

A few years ago my son wanted a hamster. We rescued one as well and my son loved this little rat.

We should have known by the fact that the hamster let my son hold him all the time.....that he was probably either sickly or old. The hamster only lived for about 3 weeks after we brough him home. :(

melinda said...

bless her heart. we had a dead hamster experience years ago. the crazy thing crawled in a toilet paper roll thing and smuthered to death. i feel your pain. good luck with the marly II thing.

Michelle said...

:( No fun!

I really like the memorial stone, that's cute.

Can't wait to see some pictures of Marly II.

Kimmy said...

awwwwww!! NOOOOO!!! Poor Marley!! Poor Lily!! I know all too well about losing a loved pet. I'm dreading the day Ozzy goes too. So heartbreaking. I am a sappy mess too when that happens. Big HUGS to Lily for me!!

hsdiva1 said...

Awwww. Poor Lily! I'm so sorry for her loss. I agree with Heidi -- you should put up a button for a Marly II fund. I'd contribute!

I love the memorial stone. You done good considering you don't like things that scurry. Personally, I don't mind things that scurry as long as they do it in a cage. It's those suckers that come in from the outdoors and scurry around in the basement of my old, old farmhouse that I can't stand!

heidi said...

Oh no!!! Poor Lily.