Sunday, November 15, 2009

Consolation...

Thanks to the guilt trip the encouragement of a few of you guys...we have a new rat in the house. A welcomed guest. One we did not greet with gunfire!

My mom couldn't stand it, and in the middle of dinner on Friday night, she brought over a new rat, identical to Marly. Just a newer model. I mean, like, literally, in the MIDDLE of dinner. Lily opened the box, and the new girl jumped into her nachos.

She was home!

Losing Marly was a bit traumatic for Lily. Trauma that was possibly compounded by her bonehead brother.

The other day, when I told Lily to come into our room. That we needed to talk to her. The little brother followed. He could tell I was a bit somber, and I could tell that he thought she was in trouble. He was humming, and skipping, and bouncing...elated that her ass was on the chopping block, and not his!

There wasn't an easy way to tell her. I just said it. "Lil. I'm sorry, sweetie, but, I went to check on Marly, and she died."

I'd never seen tears appear that fast. In a second, she was bawling, but, managed to mutter, "Awwwwwwww...mom...I miss MarMar," as she fell into my lap.

I held her, and rocked her. Jake talked to her in his voice that is reserved for his baby girl...and no one else.

Jack was watching the whole thing. Wide-eyed and worried. He has a tender heart, and didn't like seeing his sister so upset. He approached her, not knowing what to say, but, knowing he should say something.

Finally, in the softest, sweetest voice he could serve, he said, "Awwwww, Sister. It's okay. Dad's gonna die, too."

Note to self: WTF?!? Teach the boy that a simple 'I'm sorry' is all that is needed for the recently bereaved!

Lucky for Lily, she tunes her brothers out completely, and I don't think she even heard him.

Jake did however, and has a checkup scheduled with the doctor for tomorrow!

11 comments:

heidi said...

I laughed out loud at what Jack said and I'm nursing B to sleep. He BIT me because I startled him with my guffaw!! Crimeny!

Stacey said...

OH MY GOD! I can't stop laughing!

Unknown said...

oh my goodness! Too funny, so what's the new ones name?

Helene said...

I feel bad for laughing but I literally laughed outloud hysterically when I read what Jack said.

OMG, that is classic!!!

Bridget said...

Holy cow, I cannot stop laughing!!! I'm glad that Lil got her hampster, though!!

Kimmy said...

LMAO!! Yep, brothers! They are tormenters..whether they realize it or not. LOL! Too funny :D

Melinda said...

lol boys are truly a challenge aren't they?! lol

Mama SeWELL said...

Dontcha love daddies & their baby girls...so sweet!
Howd the Doc turn out?....is he gonna make it?

Tatman said...

F'ing hilarious! If he only knew that this is the fate of us all.

Kameron said...

Glad my guilt trip worked! Poor Jack. He can't win for loosin, that kid! It must have been hard for you not to laugh at that moment. ;o)

Deb said...

That is a riot, at least she didn't hear him!
Glad she has a new rat though, that was a good move.